Tips

After traveling around a bit in the last decade, I have managed to come up with a few travel tips. These are mostly for me to remember, but maybe they'll help you, too :-)

* Pack earplugs. For me, it's the slim-fit kind, otherwise my ear canals get crushed. These will save you on the plane and in hostels or bnb's within the city center, where it's loud.

* Bring a backup charger. We got one for Christmas at Persimmon one year and it saved my life on this last trip!

* Everything you need should fit into a carry-on. There is no reason to bring things like a hair dryer, a steamer, a curling iron, a bunch of jewelry, etc. That's crazy-talk. You are traveling to experience a new culture, not to bring your old culture with you!! It will be so much easier to get where you need to go if you're not lugging a bunch of crap all over the place.


* You need no more than 3 pairs of shoes, so choose wisely. For 2 1/2 weeks in Europe, I took sneakers, flat sandals, and water shoes. I wore the crap out of all 3.

* When considering your kicks, don't bring blatantly athletic shoes or you will be pegged as an American from 5 miles away.

In other words, do this:


Don't do this:


* Bring your oldest (but comfiest) pair of shoes. That way, you can toss them before heading home and use the extra space for souvenirs. This is my standard operating procedure, and I've never regretted it!

* Begin assembling a "travel wardrobe" in one color palette -- that way, everything will always match with everything else, and you won't have to think so hard. I always pack things in a black/white palette with one other color thrown in for contrast...Usually red. It's suuuuuper easy to pack and to choose what to wear when everything is the same color.

Elle's Sample Travel Duds:

* black jumpsuit



* black maxi dress



* short black dress



* black sailor shorts



* black jeans

* black lightweight jacket/cardigan



* black/white striped tee

* red floral top



* red floral wrinkle-free dress



* long sleeve chambray button-down

* black yoga/biker shorts (to sleep in or wear under dresses)

* tan linen pants



* black leggings (to sleep in or wear if it's cold)

* If you're a woman, pack bikinis that can double as undergarments -- the material makes them super easy to handwash and air dry!



* You need a hat for sun protection but make it a squishy one that you can roll up and stuff in your luggage.

* Don't bring stuff you might need "just in case." You don't need it.

* Always stay in the city center if you aren't renting a car (and I never rent a car).

* Don't be afraid of hostels, but definitely do your research and choose the top-rated ones. On my last trip, I stayed in 4 hostels and 1 Air BnB. I paid 3 times more for the latter and HATED it. Hostels allow you to meet travelers from around the world, they are cheaper, and the good ones have laundry, free breakfast, and fun events you can sign up to do with others staying there. 

I met Kelly in Dubrovnik and we made plans to meet back up in Split!


My general rule for hostels is to pay for something with the LEAST number of beds per dorm without actually going for a private room. For example, when I was in Dublin, I paid a bit more to stay in a 4-bed hostel in a female-only dorm room. It would have been cheaper to stay in a mixed room with 16 people, but I don't like that.

* Talk to the locals. Ask them about their country's history and what they think you, as an American, need to see to understand things there.

* HAVE FUN!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abhyasa - Practice

Saurya - Courage

Sarvangasana - Shoulder Stand

Tulā - Balance