Duḥkha (दुःख) Hardship



I haven't written in a long time. That is because my life the last 14 months has been boiled down to its absolute essentials. What do I need to do right now in order to survive? 

I find myself asking questions like: Is there anything causing me stress that can be eliminated from my life in order to bring a modicum of peace?

 In the last 14 months, I have experienced the following: 
* being reported to the Trump administration's Department of Education
* being reported to Congressman Bob Onder
* listening to radio broadcasts in which I am accused of "pushing porn" on unwitting students
* being doxxed from behind an anonymous account
* being pursued by reporters 
* helping to overturn a school board election
* hyperventilating in the office in between classes
* sitting at home on FMLA once I became too non-functional to teach
* visiting the courthouse to ask for a restraining order
* interviewing and meeting with attorneys
* switching jobs and careers in an attempt to stay "hidden" from unhinged lunatics 
* speaking to the school board about district policies to protect teachers
* meeting with a pastor, who prayed over me and told me if the bullying his church members were engaging in became so extreme I was about to kill myself, to give him a call
* being linked to actual pedophiles online

When I was younger and experiencing something horrific, I would get these blackouts. I couldn't articulate what happened even seconds after it happened. And there were moments when I felt my body get super-hot, overheated, like I would explode if I couldn't get the words out of me... and yet I couldn't get them out. I couldn't express what I was experiencing. I physically felt all the words trapped right at the top of my chest, like a bottle-neck, choking me.

Sometimes, it feels like that now.



If you've been following my story for long, you know Life took a left turn 14 months ago when the parent of a then-student decided I was trying to indoctrinate children into "the gay agenda." It's a stupid story with many ironies, not the least of which is that I am not gay and in fact spent the majority of my life at the very church where this woman receives her messaging. I probably know the messaging better than she does.

As a then-English teacher, I was proud of my knowledge of books. I read a LOT, was certified in Library Science, and spent years staying abreast of trends in Young Adult literature. For this reason, I amassed a pretty significant classroom library, full of award-winning books. And yes, some of those books had queer characters. I taught at a public school full of many types of people. In an effort to serve everyone, I stocked some of everything.

I asked parents to remain involved in their students' book choices. In my syllabus, I urged parents to contact me if they didn't like a book, and said that I would immediately replace it with a different one.

That's it. That's the "secret gay library" that's been referenced by a "concerned parent" all over the internet, 4 different radio stations, Mid Rivers Magazine, the Post. I never received so much as a verbal reprimand from my principal, the superintendent, or the school board because I didn't actually do anything wrong. I had books on my shelves. That's it.

I hoped that moving to a different subject area and a different part of the district would insulate me. But when I returned from Europe, it was to discover that the woman chasing me had preemptively posted the contact information for my new supervisor, so her followers could email him in outrage before I'd even met him.

The hits seemed to just kept coming.


I started therapy at the Crime Victim Center. I went on a pilgrimage to Spain. I took a class on neurographica with my sister Dragonfly, and we attempted to rewire our brains through artistic shapes. 



It turns out that rewiring your brain is a lot harder than drawing lines, making shapes, and using colored pencils while thinking positive thoughts about your archetypes. What a disappointment.

So, as always, I return to yoga, which has given me a framework for understanding life. This month's yoga pose for me is astavrakasana. It's a twist and an arm balance; it requires core strength and hip opening. It's like the inventor of this pose said, "How can I fkkk with people the MOST on a Sunday morning?"

And this is not even the hardest variation.

This pose is hard for me. I feel too heavy in my own body. I feel frustrated and annoyed and uncertain about why it's so effortless for other yoga instructors and so difficult for me. I feel the temptation to be angry at my body that is growing older, and my core that is not strong enough, and my wrists that are not sturdier. 

The Sanskrit word for hardship is Duḥkha (दुःख). It means "that which causes pain, unease, suffering." Many times, when doing these hard poses, practitioners forget to breathe because of their unease. We are so focused on squeezing and balancing and locking and tightening and focusing and gripping... that we forget the one thing that is most essential, that makes all the other things possible -- the breath. 

The breath is the one, most essential thing. I find myself asking these days, what is the one, most essential thing? If everything else is stripped away, what is the one thing I cannot live without? For me, I think it's doing something that matters, that has meaning.

There have been moments in the last 14 months where I felt nothing but despair, or nothing but rage, or nothing but abject terror. But like it or not, this woman has taken what I do and given it a focus. How can I teach my students to be curious instead of judgmental? How can I teach them to be open-hearted and kind? How can I create space for them to think and to feel and to question?



Life is heavy with hardship right now. It has BEEN heavy with hardship. Most days, I wonder if I will ever escape it or if it will ever come to an end. 

That's all the words I have to write.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa - Intention

Tamas - Spiritual Inertia

Tadsana - Mountain

Namaste - Godhead, Part I

Choice

Hope